HONOURING YOUR PARENTS
Honour your father and mother that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you. Exodus 20:12
My dad recently turned 90 years old and his physical capabilities are fading. He can still move around with his walker, but he needs someone to cook his meals and help him with other tasks.
My older brother Steve and his wife Judy lived close to him, so they decided to move in with Dad to care for him. Wanting to help in some way, my wife and I flew across the country to help out a bit by watching Dad while my brother and his wife had some time away together. We enjoyed our time with my father and were glad to ease Steve and Judy’s load – even if it was only for a few days.
The Bible says to “honour your father and mother” (Eph. 6:2). One New Testament commentary says that to honour someone is to “treat him with the deference, respect, reverence, kindness, courtesy, and obedience which his station in life…..demands.”
For young children, this means obeying your parents. For teenagers, it indicates showing respect for Mom and Dad even if you think you know more than they do. For young adults, this means including your parents in your life. And for those in middle-age and beyond, it means making sure that parents are cared for as they move into old age or their health declines.
How can you honour your parents this week? – Dennis Fisher
Don’t miss the opportunity
To honour and obey
The parents God has blessed you with –
For they’ll be gone someday. – Sper
Honouring Our Parents Has No Age Limit!
- Trust and Obey God! Please Put God in the Picture (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Judge All Prophecies! Test All Things; Hold Fast What Is Good. Abstain From Every Form of Evil. (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Olympic torch (mikeredshaw.wordpress.com)
- What I honour in my child, I honour in myself (lovingearthmama.com)
- Finding Christ in Proverbs – and Finding Proverbs in Christ (mindrenewers.com)
- What About Our Christian Character (verticalviewer.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Teachings (werejumpin.wordpress.com)
- Yankees honour Maris 61-homer anniversary (theglobeandmail.com)
- Dim Sum – Watch it! The Lord cares(1b) (ptl2010.wordpress.com)
- The Types of Christ (verticalviewer.wordpress.com)
- The Role of VBS in Teaching Honor (hastenhome.wordpress.com)
- What About the Character of the Wicked (verticalviewer.wordpress.com)
- Unity in the Home Part 2 (estherslegacy.com)
- Harsh Jewish Ethics (triangulations.wordpress.com)
- Obedience….a dogs tale…..:) (pastormikesays.wordpress.com)