TEXT: Acts 13:2
As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.
Jesus calls us o’er the tumult
Of our life’s wild, restless sea;
Day by day His sweet voice soundeth,
Saying, “Christian, follow me”.
We are usually very busy that we often don’t hear God when He speaks to us. We also don’t have time for quality communion with Him even though He is yearning for it.
One of the methods He employs when it is important that He speaks to us or pass a message across is to separate us from our busy schedules.
I remember two occasions when God needed my attention, He took me away from my busy daily routine. The experiences and impacts remain unforgettable for me.
The current lockdown arising from the covid-19 pandemic may be God’s way of calling our attention to Him. The difference between this one and my personal experiences is that He locked down the whole world at once. That tells me that whatever message He needs to pass across must be extremely important and time bound.
WHY SHOULD WE SPEND TIME ALONE WITH GOD?
1. God desires alone time with us. Gen.3:8-9; Acts 13:2
2. We need to develop intimacy with God to rely on Him as our vine. Jn.15:1-8
3. Spending time alone with God rids our minds of distractions so that we can focus on Him and hear His word.
4.We draw closer God and get to know Him in a different way than we do in group settings. Ps. 42:7; Jam. 4:8
5. To follow biblical examples. 1 Cor. 10:11
EXAMPLES OF PEOPLE IN THE BIBLE WHO SPENT TIME ALONE WITH GOD
1. Adam – The first man to have a quiet time with God. He received the vision/purpose for his life in one of those sessions with God. Gen. 2:15-16
2. Abraham – He left his country, kindred and family to be alone with God. Gen. 12:1-4 God changed his name from Abram to Abraham, the father of nations. All the nations of the world can be traced to him.
3. Samuel – As a young boy, he was separated from his father, mother and immediate family. He was separated unto God. At a tender age, God trained him to hear His voice and prepared him to be a Prophet. 1 Sam. 3:1-14. He was one of the greatest Prophets in the bible.
4. David – While his brothers were enjoying the comfort of their father’s house, God separated young David unto Himself in the bush. There, He taught his hands to war and his fingers to fight. Little does one wonder that he defeated Goliath the giant. 1 Sam. 16:10-13; 17:34-51; Ps.144:1.
5. Elijah – God separated Elijah unto Himself at the brook Cherith. There He gave him the blueprint for survival during a period of famine. 1 Kings 17:2-9
6. The disciples – After the death of their master, the disciples of Jesus Christ heeded His instruction for them to be alone with God until they received the power. In no time, they were filled with the Holy Ghost. Acts 1:4-8; 2:1-4
7. Paul – He encountered God on one of his missions to persecute Christians. God locked him down and equipped him. Since then, he never looked back until he died. He wrote 13 out of the 27 books in the New Testament. Acts 9:1-22
8. Jesus – He went away from the crowd to be alone with God many times in His earthly ministry. He recharged and refined His mission on earth during these lock down sessions. Mt. 14:13; Mk. 1:35; 6:45-46; 14:32-34; Lk. 4:42; 5:16; 6:12; 9:18; Jn.6:15
9. John – He was on exile on the Island of Patmos when God opened His eyes to see the edn time events as recorded in the book of Revelation. Rev. 1:9
10. Moses – Moses had a personal encountered with God while he was a fugitive in Median. He was equipped to deliver God’s precious people from bondage in Egypt. Of all the prophets, there was none who spoke with God mouth to mouth like Moses. Ex. 2:11-25; 3:1-10; 33:11-15; Num.12:8
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SPEND TIME ALONE WITH GOD?
1. We will understand God’s purpose for our lives when we spend time alone with Him. Consequently, we can live meaningful and purposeful lives.
2. People develop intimacy with God in the process. Moses knows His ways, while other prophets see His acts.
3. God equips people to fulfil their destinies e.g Samuel, David, Paul.
4. Separation unto God is the place of Power. e.g the disciples in Acts 2
5. Spending time alone with God is a place of divine revelation e.g Abraham, Elijah, John etc
6. He injects energy, power and strength into our bodies when we are tired, weary and emotionally distraught e.g Jesus
7. Spending time with God puts everything else in perspective.
HOW TO SPEND TIME ALONE WITH GOD.
1. Meditation in prayer
2. Personal praise and worship
3. Personal Fasting
4. Separation from the crowd, in self isolation.
Anyone who is too busy to pray now, will be too busy to receive the power to fulfil destiny.
Anyone who wants to be used of God cannot afford to spend all of his/her time with people.
This time when the whole world is on lockdown presents a perfect opportunity to be alone with God.
1. Prayer of thanksgiving – to be alive, privilege to hear His word, salvation of your soul.
2. Prayer for mercy for the nations of the world, Nigeria, your family members and loved ones, yourself.
3. Prayer of healing for all those who have been infected by covid-19 and any other diseases in every nation of the world.
4. Pray for grace to take time out of your busy schedule and be separated unto God.
Separate yourself unto God and seek His face to discover your purpose on earth, ask for power to fulfil your destiny, seek divine revelation.
Seek to do exploits for Him. Dan.11:32
God bless you.